High Protein Quinoa Patties
These vegetarian Quinoa Patties are perfect for your lunch box and delicious both hot and cold.
Why is it so healthy?
Quinoa is a superfood I just love. It has a very impressive nutrient profile and is very versatile and easy to cook with. The eggs combined with the quinoa make this a wonderful, protein-rich vegetarian meal.
I have followed this recipe from Well Nourished for years but I don’t use the parmesan as they recommend (keeping it as alkaline as possible).
Makes about 15 -20 patties (depending how big you make them)
180g (1 cup) quinoa, washed well
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 bunch of spring onions, white part finely diced
1 cup approximately of leafy greens, like kale, spinach, basil or another herb
60g (1 cup) of fresh breadcrumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
Sea salt, a good pinch
Ground pepper, to taste
1. After washing your quinoa very well in a fine sieve to remove the bitter saponins, cook your quinoa in a rice cooker or on the stove. Once cooked set aside to cool.
2. In a food processor or powerful blender, chop your garlic and spring onion. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.Now process your bread (works well from frozen) and blitz to a crumb.
3. Without rinsing your bowl, process you eggs and greens until the greens are a chopped up as necessary. I like them a little in tact. Now mix all the ingredients together until well combined and season well.
4. In a large frypan, add a good couple of tablespoons of coconut oil. Heat over a moderate heat and drop a good heaped tablespoon of the quinoa mixture into the oil.
5. Press down a little with the back of a spatula. Cook until the edges start to brown. Carefully turn and brown the other side.
Eat immediately or allow to cool and store in the fridge.
You can experiment by adding some other veggies to the patties such as red capsicum or mushrooms.
Serve with a nice green salad and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Let me know about your own experiences cooking with Quinoa in the comments below 🙂